Welcome to Kidlit Summer School Orientation!
Today we’re here to tell you what to expect so that you can feel comfortable and confident going forward. Looks like you’re sitting up straight and reading your assignment. Fantastic! You get a star!
For the most successful school experience, make sure you don’t cut class! Classes are offered Monday through Saturday right here on the blog through our fabulous faculty guest bloggers. All you have to do is virtually show up here! If you subscribe to this blog, you can have the school come to you instead. We recommend this, so head to the right sidebar and subscribe if you haven’t already! You want to learn how to craft a riveting plot, don’t you? We’ll be covering all manner of strategies for crafting great plots over the next few weeks.
Sundays are a time to sit back and process what you’ve learned. We’ll have that covered here on the blog too! Along with some pop quizzes. Don’t worry about those. We have confidence you’ll pass with flying colors!
Now, take a look at your class schedule for the week. You’re going to learn a lot!
Since tomorrow is THE FIRST DAY, we’d like to get #KidlitSummerSchool trending. Please help us share the word by posting about it on Twitter, FB (including in groups of writers), Pinterest, and all other forms of social media. Please use the tag #KidlitSummerSchool wherever you post. If you want, you can copy the ready-made tweet below and paste it into your feed. Super-easy!
Here are some ways you can get the most out of Kidlit Summer School:
- Make sure you are on the email list! Do this by registering this year. If you are not getting emails, please click HERE to troubleshoot. Because there are so many of you, we ask that you read this carefully before contacting us about a problem. A regular weekly email will be sent out tonight or tomorrow morning. Look for it to make sure you get it!
- Join our Facebook Group! If you have registered for Kidlit Summer School 2015, follow this link to ask to be added if you haven’t already. https://www.facebook.com/groups/264884010371441/ If you haven’t registered, please register HERE, even if you registered last year!
- Attend the Webinars. Times and login information will be emailed to registered participants. You must register for the webinars you want to attend or watch. The next webinar, with the Kidlit Summer School Board of Education is this Wednesday, July 22 at 8:00 pm. You can also mark your calendars for 8 pm July 27. Our webinar that night will feature agents Sean McCarthy and Marie Lamda! Details about both events will be delivered by email. Find out what Sean and Marie are interested in acquiring, and more about our Board of Education by consulting the FACULTY page. You can find out more about webinars in the under FAQs above.
- Participate in our Twitter #30mdares: This year, Rebecca Petruck will post prompts on Twitter and Facebook twice a week so students have the freedom to arrange group dares that suit their schedules and time zones, or do them on their own. The only “rule” is to set a timer and go without stopping for 30 minutes. You can find her on Twitter at @RebeccaPetruck. Prompts will be posted Tuesday at 9p ET and Saturday at 10a ET. To get prompts, check the Twitter hashtag #30mdare or visit the Facebook group.Publisher’s Weekly covered Rebecca’s first experience with the #30mdare. You can read about that HERE.
- Fill out your orientation form: Now, what’s orientation without filling out a few forms? Your task is to fill out this form before school starts! Click on the link to get your form: Orientation Form 2015 Luckily, you don’t have to worry about immunizations to attend this school. Like all #KidlitSummerSchool activities, filling out the form is voluntary! It’s just to get you thinking about the road ahead.
- FAQ page: Check out the pages for FAQs in the navigation bar for more information on webinars, email, and #30mdares.
- Cafe Press: We are setting up a Cafe Press store. Soon you can have your own Kidlit Summer School uniform. 😉
- Perfect Attendance: Remember the perfect attendance award? You can get one for attending Kidlit Summer School! We’ll hold a drawing at the end of Summer School for people who commented on every post here on the blog within the first 24 hours of it going up. When Summer School is over, there will be a post explaining how to be entered for the drawing for the Perfect Attendance grand prize.
- Author Giveaways: Some of our amazing authors will be sponsoring giveaways with their posts. You must comment on their post to qualify for these. Details will be at the end of each post.
- #30mdare Giveaway: Students who complete at least five of the seven dares will be entered to win a 20-page critique and follow-up phone call from Rebecca.
- Regular Registration Giveaways: We are giving away the following prizes to Summer Schoolers who register by July 26, when regular registration ends. Names will be drawn from registrants.
- Brainstorming Session with Kami and Sudipta: a 30 minute BRAINSTORMING session with Sudipta and Kami together. In this session, the Nerdy Chicks will talk you through your idea — at whatever level of finished it is — and help you push it to the next level.
- Bling Pack: Our adorable Kidlit Summer School Sleuth designed by Joyce Wan on a notebook, totebag, and t-shirt from Cafe Press.
ALL PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED AT THE END OF KIDLIT SUMMER SCHOOL 2015!
We’re looking forward to a great few weeks! See you in class!
The Kidlit Summer School Board of Education.